Sunday, September 20, 2009

Herbs Galore!

First thing I did when I returned home after 2.5 weeks is to take a peek at my precious garden. I was very glad that things were under control (all thanks to my friend Paul for tending to it while our family was away). Great to be back to see wonderful growth of my herbs. The mints in the 50cm and two 30cm pots are so fat. I had to quickly harvest them to give them away : The two rosemary cuttings which I have propagated have also grown bushier :
The mother rosemary plant (which was attacked by powdery mildew previously but won the war) has put on so many new growth and gone bushier. Time for harvest :
Three new cuttings which I have propagated from the mother rosemary are also showing signs of growth :
My lemon verbena has grown but I wish it has grown bushier...there must be a way to do that :
The spring onions from seeds were straggly at first but after 2.5weeks (charlie carp treatment before I left), they are doing well and can be harvested anytime :
My curry plant has gone really really bushy in a neat way with all the trimmings I have done beforehand :
Bay tree put on so many new leaves...wow! :
Thyme was completely chopped off low but returned with a complete bushy hair-style. Time to harvest :
Vietnamese mint is spilling over th 40cm pot with wonderful growth. Time for harvesting again :

2 comments:

Scarecrow said...

Hi Savvy Mummy
What a wonderful collection of herbs for your new garden!

To make the Lemon Verbena a bit bushier just pinch out the growing tips (you can use the leaves you take off)...like you do with other herbs.
But the lemon verbena will try to grow into quite a large shrub...I have one here that's about 2 metres tall and that is with a yearly cut back!

Savvy Mummy said...

Hi Scarecrow! Nice having you visiting! What an honour! Yeah I am becoming better many thanks to your help with my many queries! I am thinking of putting the lemon verbena and some others into the ground as soon as I get organised with this new garden. I would not mind a large lemon verbena with that gorgeous lemony smell...:)

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541