Thursday, October 29, 2009
Recently, I have been doing gardening in starts and stops and have not recorded much of what I had done. Besides being unwell physically, the weather has been rather scorching for much to do in the day time. I tried as much as possible to do gardening when the sun sets yet still bright enough. I have used some pieces of wood which was left by the previous owner to build a little vege patch just next to the back pongola (if I have named it correctly) :
Before weeding & filling up with soil (above) After (above)
The black carolina rose grape vine is growing well at the spot where I just put in the vege patch. My next 'challenge' would be to erect some support for it as it grows.
My capsicum plant in the pot has put forth several fruits, with me wondering how large they will get since the plant is confined in such a small pot.
Three tomato plants are growing in a larger pot since transplanting from their little pot. Where in the garden can they go? Or they would have to grow in a large pot.
The few calendula plants are growing faster with the warmer weather.
Strawberries are developing in two of the three strawberry plants in the pot and on the ground.
Protection against birds half-way there.
My passionfruit panama gold is still surrounded by a tree shield. Fortunately the leaves are not being eaten anymore since I surrounded the skirt of the tree shield with soil.
Peach (pixzee) fruits growing bigger. Just wondering where's the space for further enlargement since the branches are so close. I never thought about that when I bought it.
Snow peas are still fruiting but slowly dying down. Go to the compost soon!
Tomato beef steak has grown a lot, some flowers but no fruits yet.
Purple king seeds have germinated and are this big now! They are actually in a more shaded area and thankfully with more warmth and sunshine recently, they are steadily growing. Lots weeding to be done with the unmulched areas.
The first patch of grass has grown well and is now looking like this...good!
I have germinated some cucumber (burpless). Well germinated. Trellis and space to figure out.
I really have no idea how to care for this pot of kalanchoe. So I decided to prune all the dying flowers. New leaves have grown and I shall see if it flowers next season.
Thursday, October 15, 2009
The three Lilium LA Hybrid plants have emerged and looking quite good. I hope it will survive the not so good soil here.
One of the gladioli plants has emerged as well. I have since fenced up this patch because doggy has been trodding on it and even nipping off some of the plants.
I only got two yellow daffodils this season while the rest all did not flower. They are probably on the way to die down. Hope for a better season next round.
Okay. I have been sick for two weeks. Coughing really badly especially in the nights. Hardly had the energy to do much. Sometimes when that burst of energy comes, I will be out in the garden doing work...just whatever is required. Noticed that the strawberry delight in the pot has flowered.
Hubby and I worked on this little bare patch a week back - sown some grass seeds and sprinkled potting mix, watered..and the grass is growing. We have many other small bare patches to work on.
This is the second season for my capsicum in the pot. It has gone through one winter and survived it. Now it is flowering and fruiting.
Many things are happening in spring. One of the most obvious is my little bay plant. Many new leaves burst into existence.
Strangely my lemon verbena is having rusty-looking leaves. Not sure why.
My peach (pixzee) has put on a handful of peaches but they are really congested. Not much chance to further develop with that small space. I thinned the fruits.
Despite giving fungal spray in winter, some leaves are having leaf curl. I plucked off and dispose them. More spray next winter.
Just fed my golden sheens with charlie carp and cleared any growing weeds near them. They are doing fine in that good soil.
Friday, October 2, 2009
This morning I tried to clear one corner of weed mat to prepare ground for my lemon verbena but unfortunately I found lots of pebbles in the soil. I had to postpone digging for the time being. I planted my new Eureka Lemon into the previous camelia spot. It is right outside my bedroom window. Looking forward to a nice view when the lemon grows bigger.
- ► 2011 (46)
- ► 2010 (50)
- ▼ October (4)