Showing posts with label propagating rosemary. Show all posts
Showing posts with label propagating rosemary. Show all posts

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Patch Next to Garage - Fresh Faces.

This challenging patch...with its very clay soil...leaving me clueless on when I should work on it...digging is tough on dry and warm days as the soil is hard like stone...digging is not easy on cloudy wet days as the soil clumps up and hardens into lumps. But with all the effort I have put in, I am beginning to see incredible results.

The tiny pot of annabel daisy has grown 6 times. I keep on with deadheading its flowers which encourages new blooms. So far this daisy is growing faster than any plant here. I hope the space I have designated for it would be sufficient. Compare with

The little rosemary bush is also doing well. Compare it with

So is this oregano. Strangely, I am expecting it to spread outwards but it seems to be growing upwards. I would want it to be an edible ground cover here. Compare it with what I saw in the botanical gardens :
The two candy tuft plants are also well. Notice that the annabel daisy, rosemary and oregano have been mulched but not the candy tuft. I was waiting to see if I need to pull up the candy tuft plants in case they did not survive.
Tip : It is better to wait and see if a plant establishes itself well after transplanting. If it does, then apply mulch. Better to mulch later in case you need to dig the plant up for some reason.
The Lilium LA hybrid plants are budding.
3 of the 5 gladioli plants are growing big. But 2 others have not appeared.
These 3 calendula officinalis plants are the fresh faces of this patch. I have just transplanted them here. So far very good results.
Tip : During transplanting, minimise root disturbance and maintain potting mix shape. Transfer the whole potting mix with plant over. Water with seasol after that and make sure the plant is hydrated daily.
Here's another new bay tree. It is very tiny now and it is a slow-growing plant. I have planted it in the centre of the patch and it should be the tallest and the focal point of this patch in years to come. Edible too!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rosemary Success!

Finally I can conclude that my rosemary propagation experiments are successful. They all look healthy and most importantly, all have put out new leaves and shoots. It was quite a while before I could see any sign of life, which is similar to the curry plant. Even if they are heading towards death, they look seemingly green and fine. So the only way I knew they are actually growing is by the new shoots/leaves which they are producing.
I have propagated all of them by standing cut stems in water, both soft and hard cuttings. It took almost a month before roots could be seen. From previous blogs, I mentioned that the hard cuttings seem to root better. And those which are taken as heel cuttings did even better. See
Heel cutting from the original rosemary plant which I bought is doing well. It was potted in a mix of premium potting mix and propagating sand. Rosemary hardwood cutting from original rosemary plant as well but potted into a mix of premium potting mix and coarse sand. Rosemary hardwood cutting from one roadside potted in a mixture of regular potting mix with peat moss.
Hardwood rosemary cuttings from road side potted in a mixture of premium potting mix and coarse sand with addition of seasol. One of them flowered. ( Another was going too but I pinched off the flower buds. Since then, they have put on new leaves.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Propagating Rosemary and Can-o-worms.

My little gardener with Marco and Smokey.
My Can-o-worm farm parked in the garage is doing well. This a peek at it. Not looking forward to Saturday, where temperature may soar to a 43 deg again. :(
This lemon tree was suddenly in a bad shape. Not sure if it was due to the extreme heat last week or a nutrient deficiency (as I have not done a thing for it before). A lot of leaves yellowed and dropped, as did the lemons, both large and small. I have tried to water it around the dripline and fertilised with less than a handful of citrus fertiliser. Hope that helps!
A strawberry? It is a deformed tomato, due to either too hot or too cold temperature during pollination, and will produce poor quality fruits.
Tip : Misting flowering plants in the early morning provides humidity and this favors pollination from bees.
This surviving Purple King is growing its way up the support without much help on my part. :)
The Rosemary Propagation Mid-Summer Experiment :
5 stalks of rosemary soft wood cuttings in jar of normal tap water.
5 stalks of rosermary hard wood cuttings with soft wood on top in jar of normal tap water.
Some water was poured away after a few days, retaining a little and fresh tap water topped up. Jars are placed near indirect sunlight as window sill. No rooting hormone used.
Result : It took 20 days before I could see roots appearing on any stem.
5 hard wood cuttings rooted. 1 soft wood cutting rooted. Rooting zone : nodes.
Conclusion : Hardwood cuttings have the highest chance of rooting. Contrary to some books which say that hardwood cuttings should be taken in autumn and softwood cuttings to be taken in summer, the hardwood cuttings in my experiment all rooted in mid-summer where else the only one softwood cutting rooted pathetically.
Tip : It is useful to wrap the cuttings and jar in a clear plastic bag to reduce transpiration (water loss through evaporation) from the leaves. In my case, I did not do so but it still worked in this hot summer climate.
"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541