17 November - Netted two tomato silvery fir plants to prevent caterpillar attack. Regular pruning of tomato leaves required.
- Did pH test for Eureka lemon and comquat calamondin - about pH 5-6 - treated with dolomite lime and fed epsom salts, hopefully their condition improve.
- Big fig is budding at the branch which I cut off in spring just for an experiment to see if it will re-shoot and also to test out controlling tree size. It seems to put putting on tiny figs but have to keep observing.
- Figgy is producing more figs on top of the two it grew in early spring. Exciting! Can't wait to eat figs again.
- Trying to figure out effective physical possum deterrent in the garden. Puts my head into full- time thinking mode.
19 & 26 November
- Rain Rain Rain...Shower Shower Shower...Hooray Hooray Hooray!!!
- Sweet corn seeds sown a week ago germinated quickly.
- Pruned rose bush. Remove old calendula plants.
- Remove fungus-infected hydrangea leaves.
- Pruned blackcurrant bush. Still no fruit in sight.
- Sown more sweet corn seeds.
- Eggplant peacock about 5cm tall.
I drove in a few stakes and wrapped the trunk of my plum tree with strong plastic. This will deter the possum from climbing up the tree.
An ugly but workable piece of wire mesh to stop the possum from walking on the fence.
I need to buy about 8 metres of good netting to protect my grapes. Note the tall plum tree at the far end. If the possum can get up the tree, it can assess the roof to get to my grapes. No way am I sharing my grapes with them especially when it this is going to be my first harvest.
This is my back lawn in early spring, looking patchy and ugly due to my dog's urine and heavy traffic :
I finally bought $5 worth of duckweeds to cover the water surface of my water chestnut tubs. I put the two goldfish here to rid mosquito larvae :