Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rain Rain Glorious Rain!

We had a super downpour mid morning and followed by more sessions throughout the afternoon and evening. It was really super! The roads were flooded at several points when we were driving back from our new property. We had gone there to do more gardening work : feeding the pruned lavendar seasol, uprooting the roots of the three small natives which we cut down, fertlising vege patch no 2, harvesting parsley for a greek dish which we are preparing with our life group later.
One out of the three lots collected.
I came home and took out all the containers I could find, including emptying a few of my son's plastic toy boxes. I had a marvellous collection for the first time! I got cleverer this time and placed the containers by spotting various parts of the roof and shelther where the rain was coming down a lot. I think I have collected about 100 litres of rain.
The second lot.
The dandelion leaves (above) have rotted and the liquid is really smelly. Have to filter it soon and dilute it to water my plants. Yesterday, I bought a pot of lemon grass (above) from flower power. Planning to pot it on in groups in a large pot.
I worked part of the vege patch this morning for radishes by digging and adding composted cow manure.
This (above) is the soil from one of the vege patches at the new property separated in a bottle. Seems to have a reasonable amount of clay soil (base layer), sandy soil (middle layer) and humus (the floatees). I have the patch dug in composted cow manure, blood and bone and some vege scraps. All this work to prepare for planting when I move in.

No comments:

Blog Archive

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541