Thursday, June 25, 2009

Kebbah Using Mint

Today I tried out a new recipe for dinner...Kebbeh...taught by a Brazilian friend from my lifegroup. It is a lebanese dish which uses lots of mint. I love growing mint but have not really used it for any of my cooking. This dish is delicious. Another ingredient is onion...good way of eating it for those who hate it as it is finely chopped. It turned out great. Here is the recipe for sharing :
_________________
250g burghul wheat (available from lebanese shops) 500g mince beef 10 sprigs of common mint (chopped up leaves finely) some cumin 1 tsp of salt some black pepper half an onion or several shallots (chopped finely) sunflower oil for brushing baking pan
_________________
1. Soak the wheat in about a glass of water for minimum of 2 hours to soften it. 2. Mix the beef, black pepper, salt, onion thoroughly. 3. Add to the wheat and mix well. 4. Add the mint and mix well. 5. Form into rolls about 5cm long and 1.5-2 cm diameter. 6. Grease the tin with thin layer of oil. 7. Bake the kebbeh at 180 deg celsius till meat cooks (around 20 mins)
Common mint harvested. Kebbah
When I was preparing the kebbeh in the kitchen, I caught a glimpse of the backyard out of the window and rushed for my camera. The evening sun's was caught on the two tall trees far away. It was a beautiful sight. I would miss this open view, the two fields beside the house and the reserve behind when I move to my new house.

No comments:

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541