Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Work Work Work!

I cant believe I can get that busy once I sink into gardening again! The tasks are never-ending! I even woke up in the night with ideas of what I am going to do!!! So far the autumn tasks have been moving steadily. I have :
  • cleared the compost bin for its first time and
  • fertilised the lemon tree, calamondin citrus tree, dwarf peach tree, two fig trees, chillies, herbs...with the fresh compost.
  • pruned my lemon verbena, diosma sunset red, eggplant floriana.
  • housekept the worm farm
  • winter-protect several of my frost tender plants
  • mulched some plants
  • put up a support for my thriving passionfruit panama red.
  • divided two large pots of strawberry delight into 11 pots.
  • aerated my back lawn (still have the large front lawn to do!)
  • sprayed my carolina black rose grape vine with fungicide yet another time
The two Clementis The President have transplanted very well. I mulched them today with oops! Uncomposted pine bark chips. Not sure if the leaves will turn yellow due to nitrogen draw-down. Have to keep an eye. Mulch is so essential esp in hot or windy situation as evaporation rate is very high. Cannot keep up with watering so best way to conserve water in the potting mix is by mulching or using water crystals.
Here's a not so well-taken picture of my red cyclamen. It is flowering like mad now in autumn. What a strange sight.
How winter protection on my property looks like. I use strong plastic sheets around stakes driven into the ground. And then peg them. The pegs must be really strong ones that wont come apart when strong winds blow. This protection is half-done. My chilli padis, thai basil, capsicum are going to take shelther here. Last year the chillies were well taken care of in this manner.
One lemongrass clump fully covered. Last year I did not do protection for my lemongrass and they looked really bad when spring came. They took a long time to revive and grew. So this year I am not taking chances.
11 pots of strawberry delight plants after dividing. I read that dividing should happen in winter but I decided to do it now. Let's see if they survive. So far not bad.
Giant leaves. Burdock in the raised vege patch. Hope to harvest soon.
The mother kalanchoe plant. Why? Because I have successfully propagated a baby plant from its cutting! Hooray for me!
The baby's looking not bad at all. It has put on a lot of growth from a tiny cutting. Looking forward to red bell-like flowers in winter.
I planted this whole clove of garlic in a pot of compost cum premium potting mix cum bulb fertiliser. Hope it will work to produce more garlic cloves. Fun! And a BSF friend gave some large chilli padis (the left is hers and the right is mine! See the size difference.) I planted the seeds of her chilli and shall see if I have any chance of growing this chilli in my garden.
That's the back sapphire lawn which I have sort of aerated. It looks a bit patchy because doggy uses it to pee and poo and this burns the grass!

No comments:

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541