Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Harvests...

I harvested some herbs for a dish today. Spring onions, coriander and thai basil. I think spring onions are one herb a gardener must grow if she/her likes this herb. It is extremely rewarding. A small crop in a 30cm diameter pot can feed you for months, if not a year or two. Mine just keep coming. Forget about planting them in the ground where they become monsters and too big to manage during cooking. Any gardener can plant this in a pot even if he/she has no garden. Here's the yummy mince pork dish I cooked.
I kept harvesting tomatoes this year. Loads of them. Some are so big. I put an egg to compare the size. Since we have purchased a freezer, I have been freezing cut tomatoes instead of giving them away.
My Carolina Black Rose grapevine is doing well except suddenly having this yellow mottling on its leaves recently. I wrote to the nursery where I purchased it and they diagnosed it as Downy Mildew. Good that my keen eye noticed it. I have since treated the leaves with fungicide before it gets too late.
Three Sun King sunflowers greet my passing neighbours every day. They are more than 2 metres high and tower over the vege patch and golden sheen hedge. Their flower heads are so heavy with thousands of seeds.
Cant stop snapping pictures of my Silvery fir tomatoes. I snapped almost every one.
And these Floriana eggplants are such a pretty sight.
The powdery mildew on my spagetti squash vines did not improve after lime sulphur. I had to treat them with Mancozeb fungicide, cut off badly affected leaves and kill the fungus in a pail with boiling water.

No comments:

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541