Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Beautiful Sight and An Ugly Sight

Last Satuday, our little family went to Mordialloc Beach for an evening walk and dinner. When we were reaching the car park, it started to rain. Samuel was disappointed that he could not play on the slides and rides at the playground. He commented, 'It's all God's fault for raining.' I did not really know what to say to him. He was being honest. I wanted to help him see God better so I was quietly pondering this over. In my heart for a split second I wondered if there would be a rainbow. True enough, my husband shouted out, 'Rainbow!' We scurried about snapping pictures of and with the rainbow. It's an awesome sight! One of the beautiful pictures I have snapped with my camera. I never got sick of looking at rainbows. It is one of those things that excites me. I was so over the moon being able to take a picture with a rainbow!!! My husband said to me, it seemed like this was better than striking lottery. Oh yes it is! As we strolled, I spoke with Samuel. I still did not have the answer to his comment but I gave him the model answer. I said that we may not understand why God rained when he knew that we are heading outdoors. However, He is bigger and He has his grand purpose and we may know why. We just have to trust Him that He knows best.
_______________
Two days later, I woke up in the morning with the most wonderful answer. I realised that without the rain, we would never have seen the rainbow! Though we had to give the playground a miss, we got something better in return - the rainbow. Often in life, we do not understand why God takes away something which we think is good in our lives, or that He withholds something which we want so much. One good example is our miscarriage in March 2010. God does have his grand purpose though we do not understand. The lesson on the rainbow taught us that principle - Just keep on trusting God and his perfect character!
Our front and back lawn look unlike all other neighbours' whose lawns are green now in spring. It is brown and dead because we have applied glyphosate. Above is a picture of one area.
This picture above shows the strip right in front of my golden sheens. My husband has dug up the edges first as the rotary hoe cannot reach them. I intend to turn this strip into a planting strip. I have been busy searching and researching on all the possible plants :
_________
Vegetables : Kai lan (Chinese Brocoli), Tung Ho ( ), Heng Cai (Amaranth/Chinese Spinach), Snake Bean, Spinach, Burdock, Garlic Chives
_________
Herbs : Lemon Balm, Wild Thyme
_________
Edible flowers : Crocus Sativus (Saffron), German Chamomile, Evening Primrose, Foxgloves, Tiger Lily
My peach trees are both having peach curl despite spraying with Lime sulfur in winter. That's the normal leaves above and infected leaves below :

No comments:

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541