Friday, October 7, 2011

Lemongrass Woes...

Time to have a good look at my lemongrass tuffs. I started with five small pots about two years ago. One tuft has since died two winters ago. It was also planted at the wrong spot, a shady one. The other four are still alive but have very thin stems. I thought it would take a while for the stems to thicken. After visiting a neighbour who also grows lemongrass (but really pulp ones), she told me it should not take so long for them to mature. I realised the soil where I have planted the tufts must be the culprit.
Thin stems for the lone tuft in my back garden.
Thin stems for the three tufts in my front garden.
I have since pulled up as many as I can from those tufts, making sure there are some roots on the individual stems, and replanted them into pots, using premium potting mix and fish granules fertiliser. I wanted to see if they would grow better.  Fingers crossed, I can harvest a few pulp stalks!
I also gave the existing tufts a trim, having read it as one of the to-do items from one gardening magazine here.

No comments:

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541