Friday, January 23, 2009

Bay - A New Candidate in the Garden.


I caught this bug climbing up a wall in the house and wondered if it was a lady bug since it really does look like one except the strange brown-gold colour. I wrote to 'Ladybirds of Australia' and Adam told me that it is a leaf beetle of the family Chrysomelidae feeding on eucalyptus.
http://www.ento.csiro.au/biology/ladybirds/authors.htm is a good site to identify lady bugs in our gardens. This one is a good one which feeds on fungus. I found it on my vegetable patch! :) http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2408773.htm is another great site to learn about lady bugs - the good and the bad and the evil. And I thought all of them are good!
Harvested 11 pieces of my precious vietnamese/hot mint for a meat dish. Yum!
Very pleased to say that my lavender is a survivor in spite of being under the hands of an inexperienced non-green-fingered gardener like me! I think the pyrethrum I gave it could have really burnt the leaves. Could have been too generous and too near with the pyrethrum when I tried to deal with the pesky whiteflies attacking it. Brutally chopping much of it, though it was already summer, proved to be a good thing (kept my fingers 'crossed')(Refer 9 Jan 09 - Keeping Check). It survived and has been putting on green healthy leaves. I never gave up on you. Please dont give up on me. :)
Bought this bay from Flower Power...only $2. No harm trying to grow it. I have re-potting it inot a gigantic pot, being hopeful that it is going to grow into a potted tree for my new house! In cheap potting mix + blood and bone + seasol + dried danelion leaves (at base). It was shaded by a large box for a few days before being fully exposed to the summer sun.
A few of the Mighty Red tomatoes are turning orange. It is really exciting to see that and I hope possums would not ruin my joy by stealing them in the night. Look at the shine! No pesticides or chemical sprays on the skin!
My largest Sun King Sunflower is due to open its flower soon, revealing its yellow petals today. Interesting to find out that they will face the rising Eastern sun each day.
Mixed basil germinating well in the pot. It will interesting to find out what sort of basils I have got and how they finally look like.
The two groups of capsicums are doing fine. This clump has been thinned out severely. The other clump has been attacked by grasshoppers or some leaf-eating insects but are good still.
This Purple King bean plant of two is doing well. I think the other one is going to die, looking at the way it is developing.

2 comments:

Rummi, the gardener. said...

hi savvymummy,
u have a purpleking bean too! do u like the taste? how do u like to prepare them?

mine is throwing out 5cm long pods already. first attempt on purple king. not sure wat to expect of them. hehe

Savvy Mummy said...

Hi Rummi..this is my first time growing it too but i believe it tastes quite well. seeds were given by a friend..i think slice as normal to 'tortoise beans' and fry the same..it turns green during cooking...

i only have one pod maturing and i am letting it stay so as to collect more seeds. this bean plant almost died in our heat wave here but resurreted..so it has lost a bit of time growing.

"All that mankind needs for good health and healing is provided by God in nature...the challenge of Science is to find it." - Paracelcus, the father of Pharmcology, 1493 - 1541